Monday, January 10, 2011

I have arrived!!! (finally)

This here blog-- this is where I'll (try to) document all the stupendous happenings, discoveries and experiences during my four-- count 'em-- FOUR months studying, living, breathing, eating, drinking, dancing in BARCELONA.  Follow along and join me as I embark on an adventure of a lifetime-- how's that for a cliché, huh?

So I'm writing now from my new home.  It's a really nice place, located in the financial district of the city, a bit north of the central area of Placa de Catalunya.  The apartment is pretty ornate for such a small space but still tastefully decorated.  I have two other 2 other American girls living with me in the homestay, both from the same study abroad program.  I got the double (whomp..) but I'm still waiting for my roommate to arrive.  So for now I have the 100 square feet to myself-- awesome.  I did some yoga.  I'm feel a bit encased- I can't imagine what it will be like with another person in the room.  But it's okay, I'll get used to it.  After all, I have no choice.

The flight wiped me out, man, phew.  I slept a lot, more than I thought I would being cramped in a tight space like I was.  But I managed.  I slept for a good 4 hours until the flight attendant tapped me on the shoulder to ask if I wanted breakfast.  I wiped the drool off my chin and told him sure.  He handed me a mysterious looking packaged bun.  I wasn't sure if that was egg in there, or cheese.  I didn't eat it so it just sat on my fold-out tray, sweating as it started to cool.  Dinner was a bit better though.  A nice array of individually packaged items.  I'm not going to lie,  I enjoyed it.  Mostly because I thought the miniaturized variety condiments were, adorable.


The hours I didn't spend sleeping I was pretty much talking to people.  Almost the entire flight was part of the same study abroad program, which was at once reassuring and kind of frightening.  I was like, shit, how big IS this program?  I had no idea there would be so many people, and all coming from the same place.  But the people I talked to were cool and came from all over the US.  They were super friendly and supportive and just as scared and excited as I was (am).

I'm pooped- my exhaustion has put a damper on my roaring exciting.  Imma sleep so hard tonight, it's gonna be great (like that's not what I did all ALL winter break..).  Then, I'm gonna wake up tomorrow, have a nice Spanish breakfast, and then I'm going to get my phone all set up, and then I'm going to go downtown and do some sight-seein' and then I'm gonna have lunch and then I'm gonna do some more sight-seein'.  It's gonna be great.  Pretty soon, I'm going to own this city.  Right now, this is not mine.   But by a few weeks, Barcelona will start to become a seamless part of me.  It will start to become a part of me, recognizable and familiar and Spanish will become second-nature, roll effortlessly off the tongue.  I'm really looking forward to that moment.  I feel like it might come quicker than I expect.  The city seems a bit familiar already.  I feel like I've been here before.  There was not the initial shock that experienced while visiting Paris.  I don't know why that is.  Maybe I just haven't seen enough of the city yet.  Actually, no, what am I talking about-- I've been almost completely surrounded by Americans all day, durr..  The shock of difference won't hit me until I finally go to the university, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, and take classes with native students. Speaking of which, classes start this week!!  Ooof, the idea of going back to school, regardless of where this said school is located, quiero vomitar...

Anyway, that's it for now.  I'll be posting more soon.  Along with some photos.  Stay tuned.

Love ya!  Hasta luego!

1 comment:

  1. Well, Ima just loving this blog. I'm looking forward to reading more. Good luck with classes. I hope you have a nice roommate. :)
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete